When Your Heart is Broken.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

I'm not going to start this as if I'm in a place where I'm heartbroken. In fact, I'd say I'm going through the opposite. Which doesn't sound very encouraging or even helpful for the topic of this post. But it might give you some comfort for the future, rather than for where you're at right now. Just stay with me a little bit and I'll show you what I mean. 

 Still - I have been there before, sweet one. I've been there. And there's a chance I'll be there again - even if I gain the "perfect happily ever after". There will be times when I'll be heartbroken if I'm married. There will be times when I'll be heartbroken if I have children (especially if they're anything like me). Part of living in a broken world is that there's broken people, me and you included. Even a good person may not be a good person for you or for where you're at right now. That's hard to admit. It will take time. Don't rush yoself. 

Sometimes it's circumstances. In my experience, that's often the hardest part of heartbreak to accept. 

Maybe you've never been in a relationship, and that's what has your heart breaking. It's okay to say to yourself, "I don't know why I'm single, and it hurts." It's okay to share that. You're not weak and you don't need to feel vulnerable or as if there's a target on your back for admitting it. 

Heartbreak hurts. I know that sounds like a no-duh, but we make heartbreak out to seem as if it's girls in high school eating icecream from the tub and wearing the same socks for a week. That is not heartbreak. Heartbreak is a tear in your life that you know probably won't be mended or replaced, and all that's left to do is ache until it heals. Even that is an over simplification of what heartbreak is. And the hardest part of getting over heartbreak, I would argue, is sometimes you don't want to heal. Because with healing comes forgetting, and with healing comes putting yourself out there. And it's scary and it's uncomfortable and sometimes the rock bottom desperation of heartbreak is downright embarrassing, and who ever invented cute people and why did they think having feelings was ever a good idea anyway?! 

What you need to know about heartbreak that is so sneaky, is that it's all about you. It's about how you feel. What you're going through. Don't get me wrong, you get to wallow. You should take some time to wallow. (My tips for effective wallowing include salt and vinegar chips, angry yoga, The Mindy Project, and facemasks. And we can't forget a stew station of all the softest blankets and pillows in your house.  Very important.) But after that, you have to live your life. And live it well. 

Sometimes you can get in the pattern of thinking that living your life well means showing them how much better off you are. Throw that idea out the window. That's not healing, people! That's bitterness. Living your life well means you love God with all you've got. And you tackle that baggage. Take time to reflect and learn how to grow effectively. It's a skill that you will need for life, no matter what happens, no matter who loves you. Seriously. Most of the coolest things I've ever done I did right after a break up, and they pushed me, and grew me farther than if I'd stayed sad and on my couch. It's not gonna fix you or make you forget about what happened, but it will change you and help you on your way to growth

The last thing you need to know about heartbreak is that it isn't forever. I've had some really, really tough break ups. I've been the dumper, and the dumpee. I know what it's like to be stuck. I also know what it's like to move forward with peace even through my hurting. Basically what I'm saying, and what I touched on at the beginning of this post, is that I survived. You will get to a place where it's okay! You will get to a place when you're thriving. Pray. Let God lead when you feel spent and see what he does with your surrender. 

Even when it hurts, and even through heartbreak, He works. 

No comments

Post a Comment