Foot, Meet Mouth.

Monday, November 28, 2016


Have you ever had one of those times where you gave advice too soon; when it wasn't the right thing to say or do in that moment? Have you ever gotten caught up in your own perfectly spiritualized wisdom without questioning where it was that wisdom came from? Have you ever thought I know how to fix this about a person or situation and not taken a second to pause or pray before you went about your "fixing"?

If I was speaking to a room of people right now, it would probably look something like this;


Hello, yes, Ms. Norbury? I'd like to report a personal victimization of myself, and everyone around me, courtesy of MY OWN DANG PRIDE. 

Right now, I'm enjoying quiet time at my usual study spot, the sun is pouring through big windows, and I can hear Christmas songs being practiced from the music wing of the academic building. It's a gorgeous Monday morning. 

Not so gorgeous lately, however, has been my heart attitude. (I feel like these blog posts run a never ending circle of "Hey guess what I learned this month! I'm flawed and need Jesus!" over and over.) Humbleness tastes bitter to the proud. If you could see me right now, with socks and flip flops, and a tortoiseshell hair clip reserved for especially greasy days, you'd probably think She doesn't have a lot to be prideful about. One of the stellar (*eye roll*) things I've learned about humanity is we don't need that much to boost our egos.  At least I know I don't. 

So, I've had to reevaluate my heart. One of the sneakiest things about the kind of pride I've been dealing with lately is that it isn't always obvious on the outside. But a peek inside - whoa, bad news bears, man. It's a manky sight. 

I like to think I have all the answers. I like to think I have all the life experience I need. I like to think that I don't have to listen to others and that They just don't get it or get me or understand the situation like I do. 

This past semester I gave the wrong advice too quickly, and before I even realized it I had a hand in creating a mess of unhealthy behaviour and toxicity. I wonder what would have happened instead if I had waited until I had all the perspectives and had given the situation some thought and prayer. I based my advice off of my previous experience in that area, rather than the reality of what was happening with that individual. It's something I deeply regret. Let it be a lesson I hopefully don't have to learn again.

Thankfully, that's not the end. God uses mistakes, and He's still gonna use me. Even when I mess up and pretend to be better than I really am, when I speak without thought, and when I try to build myself up as a wiser and a way more spiritual person than I ever will be. And God will still use you, too. Don't let a failure in this area keep you from speaking out - just take some extra time to get all the facts. Or even better, pray. Living with God-given grace and God-given purpose means we learn. It means we grow. Keep the reminder close to your head but let Jesus' love wash over your heart.

On another note, finals are coming and then it's the Christmas season, so this will probably be the last you hear from me for a few weeks. I love you much and I love hearing from you! If you want to send me an email or have any questions, or something you'd like me to blog about, click here




No comments

Post a Comment